New Indy World of Darkness
Hannah House, built in 1858 by Alexander Hannah, aged 37 at the time. Hannah was a prominent figure in the Indianapolis community; a farmer, gold rush prospector, sheriff, postmaster, Circuit Court clerk, and civic leader. What few people knew was that the Hannah House’s basement served as a safe haven for slaves escaping into Canada on the Underground Railroad.
Hannah was married to Elizabeth 14 years after the home’s construction, and soon made additions to the house, including a summer kitchen, milk house, smoke house, and servants’ quarters – all as a present to his new bride.
Hannah died without an heir on April 15, 1895. The property was eventually sold to a German immigrant by the name of Roman Oehler in 1899, and remains in the ownership of his descendants to this day. It was listed in 1978 as a recognized historical landmark by the U.S. Department of the Interior.